Friday, December 16, 2011

Meet the Maker of Nightmares

Surprisingly his name isn't death.  It's Juan Cabana.  He makes sculptures.  Of mermaids and mystical creatures.  Sounds sweet and innocent, right? 

This one is The Mermaid of Aruba:


This one is 'Le Triton':



Not exactly sweet and innocent.  He mixes just the right amount of creepy, mystical, ghoulish and realistic features to create awesomeness.  They freak me out and yet I want to own all of them.  You have to check out his galleries.  You will never sleep again.   http://www.thefeejeemermaid.com/gallery1.htm 


I think this is one of my favorites:


I love the tiny fish with the giant human heads.  I can't explain why. 

1 comment:

missmessy said...

I want 'Humautica' 2009 for Christmas. Its totally cool! I'm a little worried about the "use of authentic fish skin, fins and teeth" part, because I'm thinking my entire apartment would start to smell like someone left a can of tuna on the radiator, but this is the price we pay for good art. What a conversation piece! Maybe I'll take it to work and put it on my desk....